After a few days of horrible pitching options today’s 13 game slate is loaded with aces, along with a few pitchers we can pick on. It looks like a fun slate to finish off this second week of the MLB season, so let’s dig in to what today’s action has to offer.
FanDuel MLB Picks and Notes For Today
- Sal Perez – $3,100 vs Angels (Ramirez)
- Jason Castro – $2,800 @ White Sox (Covey)
- Punt Play – Tyler Flowers – $2,300 vs Padres (Chacin)
- Edwin Encarnacion – $3,400 vs Tigers (Norris)
- Freddie Freeman – $3,800 vs Padres (Chacin)
- Eric Thames – $2,500 @ Reds (Feldman)
- Brian Dozier – $3,700 @ White Sox (Covey)
- Jose Peraza – $3,200 vs Brewers (Milone)
- Ryan Schimpf – $3,100 @ Braves (Teheran)
- Corey Seager – $2,900 vs Diamondbacks (Greinke)
- Asdrubal Cabrera – $3,300 @ Marlins (Volquez)
- Xander Boegarts – $3,300 vs Rays (Archer)
- Miguel Sano – $3,400 @ White Sox (Covey)
- Kyle Seager – $3,600 vs Rangers (Perez)
- Eugenio Suarez – $3,300 vs Brewers (Milone)
- Yoenis Cespedes – $4,200/Jay Bruce – $3,700 @ Marlins (Volquez)
- Adam Duvall – $3,600/Billy Hamilton – $3,300 vs Brewers (Milone)
- Nelson Cruz – $3,500 vs Rangers (Perez)
- Aaron Judge – $2,800 vs Cardinals (Wacha)
- Steve Pearce – $2,800 vs Orioles (Miley)
- Mitch Haniger – $2,600 vs Rangers (Perez)
Pitchers I’m Using
Johnny Cueto, SF vs Rockies ($9,000) – Cueto’s $9,000 price on Fanduel is just way too cheap today. Yes he’s facing a dangerous Rockies team, but it’s at AT&T Park and he’s pitched well against them in his career. Although some individual Rockies players have good BvP off him he’s pitched well in his last 7 starts against the Rocks with a 1.33 ERA with 46K’s in 54 innings. At a $3,600 discount off Kershaw and $2,200 discount off Thor, I’ll save the money and take Cueto here.
Julio Teheran, ATL vs Padres ($8,500) – In two starts against the Pirates and red hot Mets, Teheran has yet to give up a run in 2017. Today he faces a young Padres team traveling across country for an early start. While Teheran’s career splits do indicate some struggles against lefties, most of the Padres’ best bats are righties, where Teheran excels. I really like his price and matchup today, and he should not be over owned given the slate.
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY vs Cardinals ($8,300) – (GPP Only) Tanaka has not looked great to start the 2017 campaign, but he’s faced two above average offenses in the Rays and Orioles right out of the gate. The Cardinals have struggled to do much of anything so far this year, and are 6th worst in the league (.213 avg) against right handers so far this season. I expect Tanaka to be extremely low owned given the number of talented pitchers on this slate and he has a chance to put up a pretty solid line here.
Other Pitchers I’m Considering – Danny Duffy vs Angels
Pitchers I’m Targeting Against
Tommy Milone, MIL @ Reds – Filling in for the injured Junior Guerra, Milone lasted just 4 innings in his start last week. Milone struggles against both sides of the plate, with a .357 wOBA to righties and .362 wOBA to lefties in 2016, along with a 42% hard contact rate to lefties. Maybe today is the day Votto snaps out of his slump, but I really like Duvall, Hamilton and Suarez here.
Edinson Volquez, MIA vs Mets – Volquez will get the start today in place of Adam Conley, who was used in relief during last night’s marathon outing. The Mets have been destroying everything in their path the last week and Volquez isn’t the pitcher who is going to slow them down. Last year he struggled against both sides of the plate giving up a .346 wOBA to RHH and .341 wOBA to LHH. The Marlins bullpen is extremely depleted so Volquez might be left in the game to take his lumps longer than normal, so it looks like another night for the Mets to tee off. Cespedes will be extremely highly owned, but all Mets are in play here.
Dylan Covey, CHW vs Twins – Covey – a rule 5 pick – makes his first major league start in place of the injured Carlos Rodon against the Twins today. He has talent, but he’s also pitched just 29 innings above A-Ball and is probably not ready to be a major league starter at this point in his career. The Twins won’t fly under radars after putting up 11 yesterday but this is a great spot for them again today.
Other pitchers I’m targeting – JC Ramirez @ Royals, Adalberto Mejia @ White Sox, Scott Feldman vs Brewers
- New York Mets @ Marlins (Volquez)
- Cincinnati Reds vs Brewers (Milone)
- Minnesota Twins @ White Sox (Covey)
- Milwaukee Brewers @ Reds (Feldman)
Batter vs Pitcher (BvP) Notables
- Jay Bruce vs Edinson Volquez – 19AB, .474, 2 HR
- Kyle Seager vs Martin Perez – 30AB, .400, 4 HR
- Nelson Cruz vs Martin Perez – 10AB, .500, 2 HR
- Danny Valencia vs Martin Perez – 15AB, .400, 1 HR
- Corey Seager vs Zack Greinke – 8AB, .625, 2 HR
- Gerardo Parra vs Johnny Cueto – 38AB, .368, 2 HR, 4 doubles
- Steve Pearce vs Wade Miley – 12AB, .417, 2HR
- Mookie Betts vs Chris Archer – 23AB, .348, 2 HR, 1 SB