Yesterday was a huge day for our picks, hopefully you had your Mets stacks and Robbie Ray all locked in. If you didn’t then don’t worry today is a great day for stacking up bats as there are very few quality starters on the hill in tonight’s action.
FanDuel MLB Picks and Notes For Today
- Yasmani Grandal – $3,400 @ Cubs (Lackey)
- Jonathan Lucroy – $3,000 @ Angels (Chavez)
- Sandy Leon – $2,500 vs Orioles (Jimenez)
- Paul Goldschmidt – $4,700 @ Giants (Cain)
- Kendrys Morales – $3,000 vs Brewers (Anderson)
- Brandon Belt – $2,900 vs Diamondbacks (Miller)
- Robinson Cano – $3,400 vs Astros (Fiers)
- Roughned Odor – $3,300 @ Angels (Chavez)
- Brandon Drury – $2,800 @ Giants (Cain)
- Corey Seager – $3,800 @ Cubs (Lackey)
- Troy Tulowitzki – $2,800 vs Brewers (Anderson)
- Xander Boegarts – $3,300 vs Orioles (Jimenez)
- Josh Donaldson – $3,800 vs Brewers (Anderson)
- Kyle Seager – $3,600 vs Astros (Fiers)
- Pablo Sandoval – $2,500 vs Orioles (Jimenez)
- Mike Trout – $5,000 vs Rangers (Griffin)
- Mookie Betts – $4,800 vs Orioles (Jimenez)
- Odubel Herrera – $3,500 vs Mets (Wheeler)
- Kyle Schwarber – $3,500 vs Dodgers (McCarthy)
- Joc Pederson – $3,000 vs Cubs (Lackey)
- Josh Reddick – $2,300 @ Mariners (Gallardo)
- Mitch Haniger – $2,000 vs Astros (Fiers)
Pitchers I’m Using
Marcus Stroman vs Brewers ($8,600) – Out of all the pitchers on this slate the only one I really feel comfortable with is Stroman who takes on the Brewers at home. Normally Milwaukee isn’t a team I want to pick on but they swing and miss a ton giving Stroman an opportunity at big K numbers tonight. Even if he doesn’t get the whiffs, his 60% ground ball rate should limit the damage and Vegas has him as the biggest favorite on the board out of all night games. I’ll own him on a big percentage of teams today so I may do a Milwaukee hedge stack just in case.
Vince Velasquez vs Mets ($8,200) – Outside of Stroman the only other pitcher I’m considering today is Velasquez in big GPP’s. It’s risky – especially considering how well the Mets have hit the last two games – but there are very few pitchers who have strikeout upside like Velasquez and he’s pitched very well against the Mets in his brief career (1.76 ERA, 20K in 15.1 IP in 3 starts). I suspect he’ll be very under owned after the beat down the Mets gave Buchholz and co, but he’s an upside gamble worth taking in big tournaments.
Pitchers I’m Targeting Against
Chase Anderson, MIL @ Blue Jays – If it’s one thing Chase Anderson is good at it’s giving up home runs. In 2016 his 1.66 HR/9 was 5th worst in baseball and with or without Josh Donaldson the Jays excel at the long ball. Add in that Anderson has a bit of a reverse split throughout his career (worse vs Righties) and this is a horrible matchup for him, but a great one for us. Bautista, Morales and Donaldson (if he starts) are all in play here.
Matt Cain, SF vs Diamondbacks – Speaking of pitchers who give up bombs to everyone, Matt Cain draws the start against a powerful Diamondbacks offense. If this game were in Chase Field it would be my #1 stack of the night, but AT&T Park will deflate some offense. Cain was flat awful in 2016 with a .386 wOBA vs L and .353 wOBA vs R along with a 1.61 HR/9, and in 2017 he’s been worse (albeit in just one start). Everyone from Arizona is in play and they could go under owned given the park factor.
AJ Griffin/Jesse Chavez, Rangers @ Angels – I’ll just lump these two together because they’re both terrible, especially against lefties where they posted a .406 wOBA (Griffin) and .364 wOBA (Chavez) last season. Playing in Angels Stadium isn’t particularly helpful given its propensity to sap power, but that might keep this game at much lower ownership than if it was played in Texas. Regardless, there should be a lot of offense in this game and I’ll be looking to stack this game in at least one GPP.
Other Pitchers I’m Targeting – Ubaldo Jimenez @ Red Sox, Zack Wheeler @ Phillies, Shelby Miller @ Giants, Mike Fiers @ Mariners.
- Toronto Blue Jays vs Chase Anderson
- Arizona Diamondbacks vs Matt Cain
- Los Angeles Angels/Texas Rangers vs AJ Griffin/Jesse Chavez
- Boston Red Sox vs Ubaldo Jimenez
Sneaky Stack Of The Day
LA Dodgers @ Cubs (Lackey) – Given the awful slate of pitchers I expect Lackey to be incredibly popular today, and while he usually gets the job done, he can throw in a few stinkers from time to time. The Dodgers hit right handers well, especially Corey Seager (.405 career wOBA vs RHP) and Wrigley is a park boost over spacious Dodgers stadium (especially if the wind blows out). If Lackey really is popular a Dodgers stack could vault you to the top of a GPP very quickly should they get to him early.