Yesterday was a huge day for our picks between the Phillies, Cubs, and A’s, hopefully you cashed them in big. Between the lack of Coors/Chase Field and the flu bug tearing through the Red Sox locker room, today’s FanDuel main slate is a bit tricky but don’t worry we’ve found a few matchups to exploit and some bargain options that will have you cashing your lineups.
FanDuel MLB Picks and Notes For Today
Wellington Castillo ($2,700) vs Yankees (Sabathia)– UPDATE: Castillo is out today, Joseph is catching
- Sandy Leon ($2,500) vs Tigers (Norris) – Platoon advantage and might hit higher in lineup due to injury/illness in Sawx clubhouse
- Bargain Option – Miguel Montero ($2,300) vs Brewers (Davies) – Hits RHP much better than LHP, park boost, average pitcher.
- Anthony Rizzo ($4,100) @ Brewers (Davies) – Platoon advantage, good park, average pitcher
- Freddie Freeman ($3,300) @ Pirates (Cole) – Cole gave up .370 wOBA to LHH last season
- Bargain Option – Chris Carter ($2,600) @ Orioles (Miley) – If Greg Bird sits with his ankle injury Carter could be a very sneaky option. He gets a platoon advantage, a park boost and faces a bad pitcher… time to buy low?
- Dustin Pedroia ($3,000) @ Tigers (Norris) – .370 wOBA vs LHP, Norris is talented but shaky
- Daniel Murphy ($3,600) @ Phillies (Hellickson) – locked in at the plate so far,
hits Hellickson well, platoon/park boost.
- Matt Carpenter ($3,000) vs Reds (Feldman) – off to a slow start but Feldman should help turn that around.
- Aledmys Diaz ($3,100) vs Reds (Feldman) – hits RHP extremely well + Feldman is terrible
- Addison Russell ($2,700) @ Brewers (Davies) – Cubs are heating up, love him hitting in that 5 spot
- Kris Bryant ($4,100) @ Brewers (Davies) – What’s not to like?
- Josh Donaldson ($3,800) @ Rays (Odorizzi) – reverse splits vs Odorizzi
- Bargain Option – Jedd Gyorko ($2,500) vs Reds (Feldman) – If he plays he’s cheap exposure to a terrible pitcher.
- Bryce Harper ($4,700) @ Phillies (Hellickson)
- Adam Jones ($3,700) vs Yankees (Sabathia) – not normally a fan but he hits CC well
- Kyle Schwarber ($3,500) @ Brewers (Davies) – vs righty in great park
- Matt Holliday ($3,100) @ Orioles (Miley) – platoon split vs bad pitcher in great park
- Gregory Polanco ($2,900) vs Braves (Teheran) – Just too cheap
- Bargain Option – Chris Young ($2,400) @ Tigers – Hits LHP very well (.366 wOBA) and Norris is still figuring things out. Hitting cleanup today – great spot
- Bargain Option – Aaron Judge ($2,200) @ Orioles – Monster power, great park, platoon advantage, bad pitcher
Pitchers I’m Using
Lance McCullers vs Kansas City Royals ($8,900) – Very few young pitchers in baseball have as much upside as McCullers but the knock on him has always been injuries. In DFS we don’t care about that though, so I’m going all in every time he takes the mound. The Royals have looked pretty terrible so far this year batting just .208 as a team. He is tied for the biggest favorite on the board (with Martinez) should be in line for the win and that strong bullpen should be able to lock it down.
Carlos Martinez vs Cincinnati Reds ($9,200) – Martinez looked dominant on opening day against the best team in baseball striking out 10 Cubs over 7 1/3 innings. Since that game happened on national TV on opening night I expect C-Mart to be very popular today, but don’t let that stop you from using him. Votto aside the Reds don’t have much to be scared of and a win/quality start seems like a virtual lock here.
Stephen Strasburg @ Philadelphia Phillies ($9,600) – We hope you took our advice yesterday on stacking the Phillies, but don’t look for a repeat in today’s action. Strasburg has dominated the Phils over the last three season striking out 96 over his last 72.2 innings against them.
Other pitchers I’m using – Johnny Cueto vs San Diego (late slate), Noah Syndergaard vs Miami (late slate)
Pitchers I’m Targeting Against
Scott Feldman, Reds @ Cardinals – The Reds opening day “Ace” should be a popular target today in DFS allowing a .377 wOBA to right handed hitters last season. Although Busch Stadium isn’t ideal for home run power, the Cards should make quick work of Mr. Feldman and get in to that weak Reds bullpen in short order. Diaz, Carpenter, Fowler and possibly Matt Adams should be good plays here.
Jake Odorizzi vs Blue Jays – Odorizzi is a reverse splits pitcher, meaning even though he is a righty he pitches like a lefty giving up hard contact to right handed hitters. Unfortunately for him the Blue Jays stars hit very well from the right side and they may go a bit under owned with some players blindly looking at L/R matchups and moving on. I’m taking a strong look at Donaldson, Bautista and Morales here.
Wade Miley, Orioles vs Yankees – I have to admit I liked this matchup a lot more before Gary Sanchez got hurt but let’s face it he’d have been 50% owned anyway. Last season Miley gave up a .360 wOBA to right handers and although the Yankees aren’t as loaded as they used to be, they should still be able to put up some runs in this small park. I’m looking at Holiday, Castro and Carter (if he plays) here as a sneaky stack.
Other Pitchers I’m Targeting – RHH vs Daniel Norris, RHH vs Martin Perez (Late slate), Wade Miley (late slate).
- St. Louis Cardinals – LHH vs Feldman – Diaz, Carpenter, Fowler, Adams?
- Boston Red Sox – RHH vs Norris – Pedroia, Mookie, Young, Leon
- Toronto Blue Jays – RHH vs Odorizzi – Donaldson, Bautista, Kendrys, Tulo
- New York Yankees – RHH vs Miley – Holliday, Carter, Castro